It’s hard to believe, but the holiday season is almost upon us once again. While these last few weeks of the year can be stressful for everyone (think: holiday traffic and awkward office parties), it can be particularly challenging for those in recovery who are trying to navigate these “land mines” of relapse.
But, if you are in the process of starting a new, addiction-free lifestyle, you can empower yourself with these five strategies designed to protect your hard-earned sobriety during the holidays.
5 Strategies for Staying Sober This Season
- Set realistic expectations. It’s easy to conjure up a Hallmark-worthy version of the holidays in your mind but don’t fall into that trap. If you walk into a family gathering and expect that old disagreements are suddenly a thing of the past, you aren’t going to be emotionally equipped to handle the situation gracefully. Strive to see the positive – don’t waste time seeking perfection.
- Be kind to yourself. If you are fortunate enough to take a few days off from work during the holiday season, go ahead and schedule some activities that can help you feel rested and recharged – emotionally and physically. Get a massage, stick to your normal sleep schedule and read that book you’ve been thinking about.
- Get your response ready. If you do plan on attending a holiday party or family get-together, think through your response if you’re offered alcohol or drugs. Don’t fall into old routines. Rehearse what you want to say to protect your new, sober lifestyle.
- Don’t let finances stress you out. If you are going to be exchanging gifts with friends and family member during the holidays, don’t let money be a potential relapse trigger. Before you go out shopping, put together a basic budget – and stick to it.
- Take time for gratitude. The holiday season is a great time to slow down and think about the gifts you have been given in your life. Take a few moments to reflect and consider not only where you have been – but the promising future you are headed towards!
Find Lasting Sobriety at Infinity Malibu
Nestled between the stunning Santa Monica Mountains and the Pacific Coast, Infinity Malibu offers the ideal location to heal and thrive in addiction recovery. We offer long-term, multi-phased addiction treatment and help clients transition from Infinity Malibu’s residential care into the next step of their life. (888) 266-9048 to learn more.